Tax Preperation

Hey, I’m not giving tax advice either, but if you reduced your stake to 0 and you had less NMR than you put in, then the difference would be a loss, eh? (And something like koinly will keep track of that for you once you import the transactions.)

1 Like

Understood @wigglemuse

Once again, thank you.

Another clarifying question anybody, please.

If I use any of the crypto tax prep tools (e.g., Cointracker, TaxBit, Koinly, etc.), which one of the three download files that Numerai provide I am supposed to use and upload?

Thank you all and apology for the many questions.

Anyone please?

I need to know how to add my NMR wallet to a crypto tracking tool. Do I add it as an ETH wallet? Thank you. I have no idea and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Probably not as an ETH wallet because it isn’t an ETH wallet. They will have some sort of miscellaneous upload csv format. You may have to reformat it to how they like. Just have to look at their docs. All of this is less complicated than participating in Numerai – I’m sure you can figure it out.

Hi @wigglemuse
True. It might not be complex, nonetheless confusing. Believe me, I am confused about it.
So If I upload a csv, which one? since Numeral provides 3 different files!
Thank you as always :slight_smile:

Beats me, can’t remember. When I look at them for this year, I’ll figure it out. You’re not married to anything you do with those places – play around with it, see what it seems to want and want you have in those reports. (Use the free versions.) If you screw it up, erase it and start over. No risk. Basically you are just keeping track of stuff going in and stuff going out. It might only be 2 transactions for the whole year. If your activity was minimal you may not need any service at all, you just need to look up what the NMR price was on certain days or something.

Thank you @wigglemuse

You should be able to add your NMR wallet address to any crypto tracking tool as an ETH wallet. I’ve been able to do that on most platforms; Koinly, Coinpanda, Zenledger, etc. all support that feature, BUT they all import incorrectly and the reason is highlighted here: Etherscan is broken - #2 by pschork

You best option would be to use the CSV files provided by Numerai, or manually correct the entries imported by the crypto tracking tools.

2 Likes

Thank you @themicon

My wallet was created about a year ago (March or April of 2021). Is it one of those newer wallets?

I prefer to add my NMR wallet if I only have to do little to no corrections. But I am not exactly even sure how to correct transactions :slight_smile:

So if I end up having to import from a csv file, which file of the 3 I need to use? Once again, thank you.

Any hope that someone from the Numer.ai team to answer my simple question, please: “which file of the 3 I need to use with any crypto tax tool?” I also emailed support and no answer for more than a week.
Thank you.

Hi @ihab did you manage to find out which of the 3 files are needed for tax reporting?

I am having the exact same issue as you had

Thank you!

Hi @davebaty

I used taxbit.com and subscribed to one of their higher level paid plans. I think I paid $175/year for this subscription. I gave them all the three files and they prepared the form for me.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate taking the time to respond!

Hi @wigglemuse
I am using Koinly this year but not quite sure exactly how. Would you kindly share an example of how you use them? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

I can never remember, and I figure it out anew each time. I haven’t gotten into it yet for this year.

1 Like

I believe if you kept NMR in the staking wallet for compounding, you are invested, there is no sale of NMR to get cash. This should not cause taxes. But I am not an expert in this. Consult a tax professional.

My understanding is that if you are staked and receive any Numeraire payouts that counts as taxable income, even if you never sold any of the Numeraire. As an analogy, if you work at Google, Google will give you stock as part of your compensation and you have to pay income taxes on that stock, even if you never sell the stock.

That depends on your country though and their tax systems. One size does not fit all in tax cases. Get a tax consultant to help you and maybe even more than one. I’ve had conflicting reports from various tax people in my country.

Very true, my statement was for the US. I can’t speak to how it might work in other countries.