The humans of Numerai

My name is John Putman II, most of you know me as ObjectScience in the tournament and in chat. What only a few NOG’s may remember is, I actually discovered the project in December of 2015 and officially “Woke” on the project in January of 2016 as “FXAnalytics”, a handle I’ve used since 2004 after acquiring fxan.com (which I still own for sentimental reasons).

In March of 2016 I decided to adopt the new moniker as this was in many ways a new start and path for me. The name itself is a hat tip to one of my former hedge fund clients, my first “whale”, who literally put “Putman Financial Inc.” on the map in the early 2k’s.

I’ve been involved in Finance on and off since 1987. with the last 20 of those years focused on Machine Learning in one way or another. In the early days much of the emphasis was just on getting code to run, and then generating “any” result in a time-frame where it was usable. Huge amounts of effort were spent on engineering processes that would distribute jobs across a grid of computers so algorithms could actually be used in a production environment. We’ve come a long way since then.

Now I’m busy learning Python, acquiring better math skills and dreaming up ways to extract more signal out of this dataset. It’s been a long winding journey and this has definitely been one of the cooler stops along the way.

29 Likes

quantnosticator is dead, long live wigglemuse. Due to being apparently permanently locked out of the quantnosticator forum id due to it not being the main login on my multi-model merged account, I’m now wigglemuse. And over on rocketchat, I’ve also changed vantratone to wigglemuse.

20 Likes

long live wigglemuse

12 Likes

My name is Bernd Allmendinger - username: neurocomputing. I live in Germany. I studied mathematics and work as a (dicrete event-) simulation and optimization engineer.

In my spare time i compete in machine learning competitions at Kaggle DRIVENDTA, CrowdANALYTIX and Zindi.
I started with numerai in 2018 and then paused in 2019 and started again in Feb 2020 because I found the new tourment with leaderbord and daily update great.

16 Likes

My name is Michael Krizmanic, and I’m a Senior Solutions Architect for YUM brands, the largest restaurant chain in the world. In my work life I’ve gone from an IT manager, to developer, to application development manager, to architect (the result of moving to California while keeping my job, and getting acquired by YUM).

I’ve made most of my living selling digital pickaxes to people with ideas, big and small, while looking for the next great thing to make. To help me refine my own way of thinking about the value of ideas was to look into what venture capitalists were doing, since these are the people willing to drop several million dollars on the right idea. Going down that path led me to here. After listening to this interview: http://investorfieldguide.com/numerai/ I knew that this was an important stop on my journey to being around the best ideas in the world.

Ever since, I’ve been using neural networks to make predictions for this tournament and really enjoy it. I love the concept of holding a crypto currency that goes up in quantity over time via tournament winnings, but at the same time has a burning mechanism that will decrease the overall supply of the currency over time. When you add a strong utility case to that system, as well as the erasure platform, it feels like the sky is the limit, and I sincerely hope that this tournament stays around. I still do have some skepticism based on how many times this whole thing has changed in the last 2 years alone, but I see signs of stability, still love the vision, and remain optimistic overall.

I put my name on my model to symbolize (to me more than anyone else) that whatever I put here is my best attempt at this tournament given whatever I know, or think I know.

Krizmanic is my only model, and I’m mike_k on the forum.

Thanks to anyone who read this as I am used to seeing the glassy eyes of people as soon as anything crypto enters a conversation.

Cheers!
Mike

23 Likes

Hi, I’m Fred and this is my story:

It’s easy to see how Numerai augments the ellipsis…

19 Likes

Hello! I think it is time to finally introduce myself as well :slight_smile:

My name is Karel, I am 42 and I live in Prague (Czech Republic, EU). My username is quantverse, which is also the name of my small company (based in Estonia).

I have computer science background (studied @ Czech Technical University in Prague - CVUT). I don’t really have a regular job, I just dedicate to projects I find useful to build my career and future prosperity :slight_smile: These projects are (at the moment):

• the numer.ai, of course!
  • designing automated trading systems / market making systems for cryptocurrency markets
  • a website offering tools for analyzing equity pairs (pairtradinglab(dot)com), including a simple automated trading platform to execute portfolios of pair strategies
  • quite a big project related to cryptocurrency mining (unfortunately I cannot be specific about this one at the moment) - on this project I work with large group of very skilled people

I started playing with numer.ai back in 2017 just out of curiosity, I wanted to learn Python and get more experience in machine learning. It gradually became one of the biggest projects I dedicate my time to.

My preferred and most used programming language is now Rust (I needed something very fast, compiled, guarantying memory safety and painless concurrency…and no garbage collector). I also use Python, but only for numer.ai related stuff at the moment.

My staked models: quantverse, alisa, beatriz, catalina (mmc)

25 Likes

Very cool to see intros from many usernames I’m familiar with.

My name is Shed, I have a MBA and MS in Cost Analysis. I work in government finance.
I’ve been participating in Numerai almost from the very beginning. Converted most of my Numerai into BTC, made a fortune, lost a fortune. Now, I’m somewhere in between, lol. The one constant in my crypto journey has been participating in this tournament through all of the iterations. Continuous improvement by the Numerai team. It’s so fun to try out new ideas and models.

My staked models are capt_caveman (mmc), bridgeface, hingle_mcringleberry, frankrizzo, rubberneck, and liverlips. A lot of trial and error. Thank god for merge models.
My mmc model has been doing the best lately (top 50 in MMC). I tweak things after every tournament change. Somehow all of my models have been positive. I use neural network and boosting models.

21 Likes

Computing engineering background. My interest in ML started in 2009 when I was trying to solve a classification problem in the startup I was working. The amount of data was quite big for that time so was trying to solve it with Apache Mahout. With time, the startup stopped being a startup anymore and I moved to purely management. A while later got my MBA and that awoke my interest for the markets. I used to spend lots of hours on Quantopian and now I’m struggling with models here!

19 Likes

:writing_hand: Hello, Ladylikelaces here!

My name is Inga, I’m 50+ years old Private Chef, I have a Master’s degree in Agriculture Engineering and my dream was to be to save the World.

What we do:
Save. Whether it is from a high-kill shelter, off the street, or from people who no longer want their pets - we step in and give these furry creatures a second chance.

Rehabilitate.Many animals that come to our rescue have been abused and discarded like trash. Physically they can be sick, injured, underweight, matted and so on. Mentally some are very shy, fear aggressive, demonstrate trust issues or have separation anxiety. We patiently work with every single animal one on one to improve their quality of life and make them more adoptable.

Place. First and foremost we want to make sure that when an animal leaves, it is ready and that the place it is going to is suitable. This means that if an animal is sensitive to something, has special needs etc. it will only be matched to an appropriate home that will be aware of the issue at hand.

In conclusion,
Hundreds of dogs and cats are euthanized on a daily basis in California shelters due to a lack of space and the reality of pet overpopulation. Many roam the streets and their fates are uncertain. We are dedicated to making a difference and turning the unwanted into the wanted!

I am excited to be here! :blush:

21 Likes

Hi Everyone!

I’m a bit of a long time lurker. I’ve delved into numerai on and off - more off than on - for a few years now. Early 2018 IIRC! Hopefully this time I make a habit out of it, or get compute working in time for the weeks I can’t dedicate time!

I’m a 25 year old, with a BSc in Computer Science and an MSc in Robotics and Intelligent Systems. I’m currently working as a data scientist for a government organisation called Dstl. Sadly, I’m not working on any killer robots :sweat_smile:. I’m about to leave and start a PhD in a fortnight! the PhD will be in the AI and Music niche, focused on acoustic separation :loud_sound: :sound:.

I also do some other data sciency stuff as a hobby under the handle “SingularitAI” Under this handle I make and deploy AI bots and systems, and document the creation on a high level (in video form).

A lot of my new models have SingularitAI as a prefix to the name if you wanted to spy on me on the leaderboards! My older models use my forum name, or feature names from the data set :slight_smile:

19 Likes

hi, i’m liz.

i’m 33. i’ve been programming since i was 6.

working with ai, consciousness, and predicting the future programatically have been dreams of mine since middle school.

i have my b.a. in music composition, though before i changed schools i was a math major for several years at carnegie mellon.

i worked as an analyst in the field of actuarial consulting for 5 years. i recently quit my job due to covid-related stress and beyond. the corporate environment isn’t really for me. while i worked there i was published, and did some major activism for nonbinary people, which i’m proud of.

i’ve been hustling for my whole life. competing on numerai is my way to check that box and keep my analytical skills sharp while i develop psychological skills (i’m applying to graduate programs in counseling, and starting a meditation center).

i intend to make my edge on numer.ai and predictive modeling in general by exploring the transformation step in novel ways.

in my free time i like to garden, spend time with my partners and my cat, polynomial. i’m a key member of a local queer art collective that is developing streaming 3D-modeled live-tracked adult content.

hiya

19 Likes

Bump. Let’s resurrect this thread. Noobs introduce yourself (if you want).

12 Likes

Ok I’ll go for it.

Hi everyone! I’m new and probably like a lot of new people I found Numerai via Lex Fridman’s podcast with Richard Craib. The name is Scott but feel free to call me Robbo (The_Fossil is just because I’m probably older than most people here).

I’m trained in biophysics and molecular biology but I’ve always had a very mathematical interest and approach to my work. And to be honest in the past few years I grew less and less interested in the biological problems I was working on. I still do this as my job but my career tanked, job prospects tanked and I decided to follow what is probably my true passion which is maths/statistics and really understanding numerical data. I’ve played with Kaggle but found it uninspiring. I dabble in web stuff for fun and maybe profit soon. And now Numerai has grabbed my attention.

I don’t expect to make much money here. I’m lucky to have a living situation where my financials are doing ok and I’m not impressed by money. I almost failed high school economics, but the stock market is a problem that just keeps bringing me back. I hope to learn a lot, get better at my craft, and pass on what I know as well.

Cheers,

Robbo (The Fossil)

19 Likes

Hello everyone! I’m 20 years old and currently studying biomedical engineering for my undergrad. No experience in python before stumbling across numerai on Lex’s podcast, so I’m a total noob with machine learning. Currently I’m just fiddling around with numerai on weekends and hoping to learn some useful skills in coding and maybe even make some NMR from staking. Still not 100% sure what I want to do after college so I’m trying new things and numerai is one of them.

18 Likes

Sup yo

I’m Kyle. Senior Software Engineer at Salsify. I do full stack Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and sometimes C++/LUA. I’m a polyglot when it comes to programming, I’ve written something in just about every language worth mentioning in 2021.

One of my previous jobs was at a computer vision company which is where I got introduced to datascience/ML. I did a lot of operations work (setting up large ETL pipeline and training clusters), as well as a pretty cool real time display using twitter’s firehose.

I had known about numer.ai for a little bit before trying it out myself. Rich and Lex’s podcast was what finally drove me to compete myself.

No formal data science education or anything like that, just a senior software engineer here learning. I’ve been reading d2l.ai and watching StatQuest videos to catch up haha. Thankfully reading documentation is a skill I’ve cultivated.

My github : github.com/kmontag42
Nothing too spectacular on there as these days all my work is in private company repos. Feel free to ask me about anything on there :slight_smile:

Only been participating for about a month now, but have really enjoyed it so far. Looking forward to trying out some more complex methodologies now that I’ve gotten my feet properly wet.

18 Likes

I guess I’m the only antique around these parts :older_adult: :rofl: . I got introduced to programming in 1969 via a paper tape terminal in high school using FORTRAN. But as I wasn’t all that fond of education I took off for a decade or so. Then around 1980 I started university and took just about all math and physics, with one semester in Pascal to fulfill an arts requirement. I took math because, with no labs, no term papers, and a predictable amount of homework, it was the ideal subject for a single parent.

After getting my MSc I spend the next 25 years mostly wandering around the applied math fields in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, and retired in 2009. Those areas provided me a great intro to modern computing, particularly with respect to approaches now lumped together under Bayesian Analysis. So I’ve worked at developing algorithms for solving real world problems from electroquasistatics to Forex to torpedo analysis and ocean acoustics.

Otoh, I’ve spent most of the last decade drawing and painting, leaving the left side of my brain feeling a little under-appreciated. So when I stumbled across this site I thought, well here’s something new, let’s give it a shot!. So I dug out my MatLab, and here I am.

Cheers,
Chris

21 Likes

Hello everybody,

I’m MrQuantsALot an economics undergraduate in the US. I found this protocol couple of days ago from an ad on Coinbase and am kind of obsessing over it. I am still very new at ML so I am mostly looking to try to get my hands dirty building an algo that is actually valuable.

Right now, I am just doing some exploratory data analysis on the public user data from this API. I am trying to figure out things like correlation between stake size and other variables like model corr and ROI. Once I get the finish up I’ll post the results and the source code in the forum here. This markets itself as the hardest data science tournament on the planet and I want to put some numbers on that.

14 Likes

Hi guys,

My name is Jeremy Berros, I am one of the frenchies from the Numerai community and I have been participating since Sept 2020.

I am currently a Business Developer in the Wine Industry in North America (imagine that a french guy working in the Wine Business :wine_glass:). I have been working in various industries from Oil&Gas projects in Africa, Energy in Europe to the AG Industry & Wine in the US / Canada.

My interest in Finance goes back to my time at University of Florida in 2008/2009 when I did my thesis in Options Pricing at the Risk Management Lab and developing my models on Matlab.

I am a self-learner in Machine Learning, started applying Computer Vision to AG projects and now going back to my first love in Finance with this great problem-solving competition that is Numerai :wink:

Don’t hesitate to hit me up on Rocket Chat or DM me!

Take care guys and talk to you soon!

14 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Felipe Soares i live in brazil, biotechnology student focused on bioinformatics, 5 years programmer and 6 years forex trading.

created DataCrypto Analytics, an open source project for analyzing cryptocurrencies with machine learning algorithms.

12 Likes