Hello! My name is Jon Taylor, and you may know me as Arbitrage.
I have a proposal for you to consider, but first, a little background.
Ethics disclosure: I am a voting member of the Council of Elders. I would abstain from voting on or executing transactions for this proposal. Approval would require four of six CoE members voting in favor.
In June of 2019, I visited San Francisco for an academic conference. During my stay, I met with the Numerai team, and Richard Craib separately, and pitched an idea to bring Numerai into the classroom. My passion is helping people learn about coding and finance, and new user onboarding wasn’t a primary focus at the time. We came to an agreement and thus began my paid contract work with Numerai.
Along the way, some things changed (COVID-19) and my focus shifted slightly. Rather than Numerai in the classroom, I suggested that we do an “Office Hours with Arbitrage” (OHwA) to give people a chance to talk about what they are working on and to ask questions on Zoom. I did weekly streams for many months and covered many interesting and diverse topics, interviewing team members and participants along the way.
Lockdowns across the globe forced many to stay home. I noticed that many users were all active around the time of daily scores, so I proposed a new way to conduct community outreach and to foster user retention: Daily Scores and Chill (DSC).
There’s one problem with OHwA, and that is the inability to talk about certain topics given that Numerai is funding and hosting the videos on their official channels. DSC is not hosted “officially” but is funded by Numerai, so we are able to discuss topics of interest that we cannot otherwise talk about on OHwA. This brings me to my proposal.
I would like the Council of Elders to fund my work to help onboard new users and to replace Numerai as the “sponsor” for my Twitch streams, including “Office Hours with Arbitrage.”
Below I present the proposal in the format suggested by JRB.
- I propose that the Council sponsor “Office Hours with Arbitrage” and “Daily Scores and Chill”
- Timeline: Immediate (no friction; could start immediately)
- Best Case outcome: Viewership increases, new user recruitment increases, model performance increases, user retention increases, and the spirit of cooperation continues
- Worst case outcome: viewership stagnates or decreases, new users are not referred from Twitch, model performance stagnates or becomes worse (lack of idea sharing or ideation from discussion), community regresses to hostility and non-cooperation which leads to hostile and less-than-fun streams
- Success Criteria: I would love to hear some suggestions, but I track my stream performance and I’d like to see growth or at least crabbing. I think there are two primary goals for the Twitch streams and that is to reach a new audience (Twitch users) and to entertain and educate existing users. Viewership and audience engagement are the metrics I’ve chosen to monitor. (Disclosure: Twitch does pay me and I’ve earned $120 in ~6 months of streaming. This is why I require outside sponsorship.)
- Funding required: I ask for 120 NMR per month (or 60 NMR bi-weekly) which corresponds to 16 DSC streams no less than 45 minutes of streaming each (four DSC streams per week) and at least two OHwA episodes per month no less than 60 minutes each, which can include special topics and tutorials. Generally speaking, an hour of streaming requires 1-3 hours of preparation depending on the complexity of the topic. OHwA requires 3 hours on average, DSC 1 or 2 hours.
I would add branding and messaging to the streams to show that the Numerai Council of Elders is the official “sponsor”, and I could mention that in the open or close of each stream. The Council could (maybe?) create a Youtube account to host the OHwA and special feature videos which could (maybe?) allow for a broader discussion of topics that previously could not be discussed.
Thank you, and I will happily answer any questions you may have.
edit to add my wallet address: 0x0000000000000000000000000000000000003882