Using Transformers on Numerai's stock market data

In the first Quant Club with our chief scientist Michael Oliver, @jrb talked about how he used transformers on the Numerai data (Numerai Quant Club with Michael Oliver - YouTube). I was curious how @jrb and other Numerai data scientists have set up the problem to work with transformer architectures.

6 Likes

I started experimenting with Transformers with the v3 data. jrb20 was my first transformer model. It’s just a vanilla 4 layer transformer that takes embeddings of the 1050 features as a sequence and the model just has a single linear neuron at the end on the concatenated sequence output from the transformer. My newer models are bigger mixture of experts of small transformer like models and the routing model is a hypernetwork. These things are much trickier to train, but the results seem quite promising. I believe the hard routing (and the softmax attention in the transformers) give these models GBDT like properties, with the flexibility of NNs (pre-training, better loss functions, better optimizers, architectural tricks, etc).

9 Likes

To me it was clear from the beginning that I have to use NNs to be “different” - anyone can use Trees.
My models are multilevel and I use transformers to generate different features/ data representations for 2nd level models.

4 Likes