A Personal Update

Dear friends,

First, I must apologize for my lack of activity. My time at the Federal Reserve was highly restrictive as to the type of outside work I could do, which was a major contributing factor to me leaving that position in June. I am now a Visiting Assistant Professor of Finance at a Florida University.

One week after starting the semester, I became very ill and was hospitalized for three days. I was released with an outpatient treatment plan, which unfortunately failed. I was hospitalized again for four days. I then started an outpatient treatment with IV antibiotics administered by myself at home. Thankfully, I completed that plan successfully and am on the mend.

However, my bad luck continues. During my hospitalization, a large mass was discovered on my right kidney. I made an appointment with a Comprehensive Cancer Center not far from where I now live, which happened last week. Unfortunately, my doctor believes that I have cancer with an 80% chance that the tumor is malignant. I have surgery scheduled to remove the tumor or my entire kidney in late October.

Due to my health, I must resign as a member of the Council of Elders, and retire as a participant.

Numerai, but more so the people involved in Numerai, have absolutely changed my life in a fantastic way. I have had many incredible conversations over the years, and met some truly brilliant people from around the world. Those conversations and collaborative work have shaped my research agenda, and allowed me to work on data science projects I would have never dreamed of 7 years ago.

7 years… What an incredible run. I intend on following Numerai closely, and maybe someday I can return as a participant. I just cannot devote the time necessary to fulfill my obligations to the community which has placed so much trust in me.

Thank you. Thank you so very much.

Jon Taylor (Arbitrage)

49 Likes

Jon,

I know we haven’t always seen eye-to-eye on things, but something like this transcends anything that might occur in the less significant portions of life. Dude, my heart is broken right now for you. I, unfortunately know where you’re at, and I know there is nothing I can say that eases any of this. Please know I’m thinking about you, and you’re in my prayers. All we can do now is fight forward. It’s been a hell of a journey and this wouldn’t have been the same without you. All my best brother, take care.

John

6 Likes

Although I don’t know you personally, I feel like I do because I watched pretty much every video you published. Just wanted to say thank you for the inspiration and all the contributions you have made to this community. I am really sorry to hear of this and praying for your recovery! Please take care of yourself and focus on the more important things in life. This is a reminder for everyone to live life to the fullest and appreciate everyone who has touched you along the way. My best regards, John

7 Likes

I wish you success in your surgery and treatment. I hope to see you back after your recovery

2 Likes

I wanted to give you some support but I’m not going to be able to find words that helps you. I just want to wish you luck in your treatment and a complete recovery.

1 Like

I pray for you. God bless you

1 Like

Hi Jon,

It’s sad to hear about your recent misfortune. I have learned a lot from you and really appreciate your contributions to the Numerai community and the support for CoE projects. All the best for your health and hope to see you back soon.

Ryan

1 Like

Hi Jon,

There is nothing I can say but that I will keep you in my prayers and that I am sure you will get through this man :muscle:

You are one of the main reasons why I sticked to this project 3 years ago and I am immensely grateful for everything you did for the community and for myself.

We will grab a beer in Florida once you get better Jon :beers:

Take care my friend and see you soon.

Jeremy

2 Likes

Hmmm…while I certainly agree with all these thoughts, I’m not good at that sort of thing. This mainly makes me angry. Tell your bodily invaders to f*ck right off. You fight.

5 Likes

Omg Arbitrage… I’m not sure what to say, best of luck to you. I still remember you onboarding me to Numerai with the weekly meetings! Best of luck, tell Cancer to fuck off :smiley:

2 Likes

Wishing you a speedy recovery, arbitrage.

1 Like

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for everything you have done for Numerai, the community and myself over the many years of participation. Your dedication to this helped me in so many ways that I cannot thank you enough. I im here for you if you need anything and very sad to see you leave but health and family always come before work and play. Praying for you over the coming months and please keep us updated as you can :pray:

4 Likes

Thanks for being a referent in here and for all your contributions.
Best of luck in your surgery and I wish you a fast recovery.

1 Like

You are Numerai’s legend! You’ll be back! I believe!

1 Like

Have a fast recovery Jon! Hoping you’ll be back soon! :muscle: :muscle:

Your office hours were the reason i started with Numerai!

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about the ill health, Arb (and just when I thought the scoring pipeline was stable enough to bring back daily scores and chill!). You’ve been a pretty huge influence on the community. Everyone here on the Numerai Team are very glad to have known you during your tenure in the Tournament. I hope you can return invigorated and ready to take on future datasets. Til then, rest up and good luck, brother.

1 Like

I hope everything goes well with you surgery.

1 Like

Hi Jon,

A quick message to check on you following your surgery.

I was just thinking about you since I will swing by Boca tomorrow.

I wish you a quick recovery fam.

–
Jeremy