Script for downloading tournament data

I have been playing around with tournament data for a while and I thought to share the script I use to download the data in case someone is interested. It is easy but who can be bothered to check the API? So here is the script.

from numerapi import NumerAPI
import pandas as pd
import json

napi = NumerAPI(
    #    public_id='',
    #    secret_key='',
    verbosity="info")

START_ROUND = 280
END_ROUND = 333
TOURNAMENT = 8

query = """
  query($roundNumber: Int!, $tournament: Int!) {
    roundDetails (roundNumber: $roundNumber, tournament: $tournament) {
      roundNumber
      tournament
      roundTarget
      status
      totalStakes
      totalAtStake
      totalPayout
      payoutFactor
      models {
        modelName
        selectedStakeValue
        tc
        correlation
        corr60
        fnc
        fncV3
        mmc
      }
   }
}
"""

allPerfs = []
rounds = []
for round_num in range(START_ROUND, END_ROUND+1):

print("roundNumber   ", round_num)

arguments = {'roundNumber': round_num, 'tournament': TOURNAMENT}
    roundDetails = napi.raw_query(query, arguments)['data']['roundDetails']

perf = pd.DataFrame(roundDetails['models'])
    perf['roundNumber'] = round_num
    perf.to_csv(f'round-{round_num}.csv', index=False)
    allPerfs.append(perf)

# force type inference (infer_dtype() or convert_dtype() don't seem to work
    # and I cannot be bothered to find out why)
    perf = pd.read_csv(f'round-{round_num}.csv')

r = {k: v for k, v in roundDetails.items() if k != 'models'}

#perf = perf[perf.selectedStakeValue > 0]
    r['stake.mean'] = perf.selectedStakeValue.mean()
    r['stake.median'] = perf.selectedStakeValue.median()
    r['tc.mean'] = perf.tc.mean()
    r['tc.median'] = perf.tc.median()
    r['correlation.mean'] = perf.correlation.mean()
    r['correlation.median'] = perf.correlation.median()
    r['tcVScorr'] = perf.tc.corr(perf.correlation)

rounds.append(r)

pd.DataFrame(rounds).to_csv(f'rounds.csv', index=False)
pd.DataFrame(pd.concat(allPerfs).dropna(how='any')).to_csv(f'round-{START_ROUND}-{END_ROUND}.csv', index=False)
6 Likes

Unfortunately roundDetails query doesnā€™t return the model correlation with Meta Model information. In case you need that too, you have to make use of v3UserProfile query, much less efficient, but this is the only way at the moment.

from numerapi import NumerAPI
import pandas as pd
import json

napi = NumerAPI(
    #    public_id='',
    #    secret_key='',
    verbosity="info")

START_ROUND = 300
END_ROUND = 333
TOURNAMENT = 8

query1 = """
  query($roundNumber: Int!, $tournament: Int!) {
    roundDetails (roundNumber: $roundNumber, tournament: $tournament) {
      roundNumber
      tournament
      roundTarget
      status
      totalStakes
      totalAtStake
      totalPayout
      payoutFactor
      models {
        modelName
      }
   }
}
"""

query2 = """
  query($modelName: String!) {
   v3UserProfile(modelName: $modelName) {
    roundModelPerformances {
      roundNumber
      roundPayoutFactor
      selectedStakeValue
      corr
      corrPercentile
      corrMultiplier
      corrWMetamodel
      fnc
      fncPercentile
      fncV3
      fncV3Percentile
      tc
      tcPercentile
      tcMultiplier
    }
   }
}
"""

rounds = []
modelNames = None

for round_num in range(START_ROUND, END_ROUND+1):

arguments = {'roundNumber': round_num, 'tournament': TOURNAMENT}
    roundDetails = napi.raw_query(query1, arguments)['data']['roundDetails']

r = {k: v for k, v in roundDetails.items() if k != 'models'}
    rounds.append(r)

roundModelNames = set(m['modelName'] for m in roundDetails['models'])
    if modelNames is None:
        modelNames = roundModelNames
    else:
        #modelNames.update(roundModelNames)
        modelNames &= roundModelNames

print(f"Round {round_num}: total names {len(modelNames)}")

pd.DataFrame(rounds).to_csv(f'round-details.csv', index=False)

data = []

for i,modelName in enumerate(modelNames):

print(f"Model {modelName} {i}/{len(modelNames)}")

arguments = {'modelName': modelName}
    perf = napi.raw_query(query2, arguments)['data']['v3UserProfile']

perf = pd.DataFrame(perf['roundModelPerformances'])
    perf = perf[ (perf.roundNumber >= START_ROUND) & (perf.roundNumber <= END_ROUND) ]
    perf['modelName'] = modelName

data.append(perf)

df = pd.concat(data).dropna(how='any')
pd.DataFrame(df).to_csv(f'round-{START_ROUND}-{END_ROUND}.csv', index=False)

1 Like

Follow some plots of the data from rounds 300 to 332ā€¦

First we plot the well known problem of TC being very poorly correlated with other metrics, such as model correlation and fncV3.

Model TC vs CORR

Model TC vs FncV3

Same information but shown by round:

Model TC vs CORR by Round

TCvsCORRbyRound

Model TC vs FncV3 by Round

TCvsFncV3byRound

Now I want to see if the relationship of TC with CORR and FNCV3 is somehow influenced by ā€œModel Correlation with Meta Modelā€ or stake amount. So i split the ā€œModel Correlation with Meta Modelā€ and the stake amount in 9 bins.

Model TC vs CORR by Correlation with Meta Model

Model TC vs FNCV3 by Correlation with Meta Model

Model TC vs CORR by Stake

Model TC vs FNCV3 by Stake

import pandas as pd
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import seaborn as sns

df = pd.read_csv('rounds-300-332.csv')

sns.jointplot(data=df, x='corr', y='tc', kind="reg", truncate=False)
sns.jointplot(data=df, x='fncV3', y='tc', kind="reg", truncate=False)

plt.show()

TCvsCORR = df.groupby(['roundNumber']).apply(lambda x: x.tc.corr(x['corr']))
TCvsCORR.name='PearsonCoeff(TC,CORR)'
pd.DataFrame(TCvsCORR).reset_index().plot(x='roundNumber',y='PearsonCoeff(TC,CORR)',kind='line')

TCvsFNCV3 = df.groupby(['roundNumber']).apply(lambda x: x.tc.corr(x['fncV3']))
TCvsFNCV3.name='PearsonCoeff(TC,FNCV3)'
pd.DataFrame(TCvsFNCV3).reset_index().plot(x='roundNumber',y='PearsonCoeff(TC,FNCV3)',kind='line')

plt.show()

df['corrWMetamodelBin'] = pd.cut(df['corrWMetamodel'], 9, labels=False)
df['stakeBin'] = pd.qcut(df['selectedStakeValue'].rank(method='first'), 9, labels=False)

sns.lmplot(data=df, x='corr', y='tc', col='stakeBin', col_wrap=3, truncate=False, scatter_kws={"alpha": 0.6})
sns.lmplot(data=df, x='fncV3', y='tc', col='stakeBin', col_wrap=3, truncate=False, scatter_kws={"alpha": 0.6})

sns.lmplot(data=df, x='corr', y='tc', col='corrWMetamodelBin', col_wrap=3, truncate=False, scatter_kws={"alpha": 0.6})
sns.lmplot(data=df, x='fncV3', y='tc', col='corrWMetamodelBin', col_wrap=3, truncate=False, scatter_kws={"alpha": 0.6})

plt.show()

1 Like

wow really fascinating, thanks for sharing!

Iā€™m not the greatest data scientist but I will take a stab at drawing some conclusions from your analysis. Maybe you tell me if you agree or if Iā€™m off base.

From the plots ā€˜Model TC vs CORRā€™ and ā€˜Model TC vs FncV3ā€™ I would agree with you TC is poorly correlated with CORR and FNCV3.

From the plots ā€˜Model TC vs CORRā€™ and ā€˜Model TC vs FncV3ā€™ I would conclude that there is decay or divergence in the relationship betweent CORR/FNCV3 and TC that increases with time. I would suspect that this is true over the entire period since TC was introduced. (Can anyone tell me the round when TC was introduced and also became the base of payout?) I would also guess that this divergence will continue and that the divergence is a feature of TC, not a bug. Perhaps with the introduction of TC users now optimize to that metric and subsequently let their CORRs/FNCV3s drift.

Looking at the plots ā€˜Model TC vs CORR by Correlation with Meta Modelā€™, ā€˜Model TC vs FNCV3 by Correlation with Meta Modelā€™, ā€˜Model TC vs CORR by Stakeā€™, and ā€˜Model TC vs FNCV3 by Stakeā€™, it doesnā€™t seem like there is a noticeable effect of ā€œCorrelation with Meta Modelā€ or ā€œStake Sizeā€ on the relationship of Model TC and CORR, or the relationship of Model TC and FNCV3.

Maybe we can think about the tournament as a mine. Numerai owns the mine but lets anylone mine it. They give their miners a cut of whatever precious gems (alpha) they dig up and bring to the mine office (payouts). They also beat the miners mercilessly if they bring up useless rocks (burns). All the miners work in the dark, looking for precious gems. For the first few years of the mine, the miners were told that only one kind of precious gem was worth bringing up to the mine office. Because of this all of the miners would look for the same signs in the rock and dig in the same places. After a while, the mine office found out that they had sold too much of the same gem to the wider gem market. They decided to tell the miners that they could bring any precious gem that they could find in the mine up to the office. But now they would be paid a cut of what the wider gem market would pay for these new gems. Neither the office nor the miners know what the new gems (new sources of alpha) are worth until they are sold on the wider market. And even then, the value of the gems is not clear. All the gems from all the miners are sold in one bulk lot. Fortunately, the mine office can calculate the what value of the lot that would have been without an individual minerā€™s contribution. That difference is the new payout for the miner. Under this new regime, the miners go back into the mine and begin searching for the different gems; each looking for different signs in the rock and digging in different places; all still digging in the dark.

1 Like

oh my, the mine metaphor is great. I enjoyed reading itā€¦ā€œThey also beat the miners mercilessly if they bring up useless rocks (burns)ā€ Lol!

Regarding the analysis I agree with you, except for the decay or divergence. I would avoid drawing too many conclusions from a short period of time, although the plots agree with what you are saying.

All in all I am disappointed by those plots, nothing interested has emerged. However someone might start from this data and dig deeper.

I believe the first round that accepted payout based on TC was 311